Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Losing, and Finding, Your Car

JetBlue on Twitter (www.twitter.com/jetblue ) has a really useful travel tip for those of you (well, us) who have "lost" a car at airport parking: http://twitter.com/JetBlue/statuses/852759910 .

I actually managed to lose my car in the parking garage at Hartford Bradley Airport. I knew its general location but what I didn't realize is that the Hartford parking garage effectively has two symmetrical ramp structures under the one building. While I was going up and down one set of ramps, there was a complementary set of ramps further back doing the exact same angling. Of course, I didn't find this out until after calling security for help finding the car. When I finally went around a corner, I realized three things:
  1. There was this other set of ramps that I hadn't been searching.
  2. My car was precisely where I left it and where I thought it would be...only on the other side of the wall.
  3. I was going to have fun explaining this one to the security guard. He actually laughed and said this happened about once an hour. I guess it was my hour.

This of course was in a car that did not have one of those key fob door openers. How many of you have gone around clicking that, listening for your car's horn? Let's just say I've done that more than once. Very effective.

No comments: