Monday, June 16, 2008

Musings on American: Why I May Be Done with Them for the Year

I'm a Platinum flyer on American. I've already reached 25,000 miles on them for the year. Here's why that may be enough:
  • On my most frequent routes (transcon), Platinum isn't enough to get you upgraded. My upgrade rate is less than 20%, probably closer to 10.
  • Given USAir's salvo, I expect that mileage bonuses will be eliminated. Therefore, there's no value to higher levels of privilege.
  • At 25,000 miles, I already qualify for most of the priority/fee treatments.
  • I don't expect to reach Platinum Exec.

If I've already got the key remaining benefits and the coach product sucks as compared with my transcon alternatives (JetBlue, Virgin America), why would I fly American any more?

No comments: