Thursday, July 31, 2008

In-Flight Talking

Please pass this law. Please!!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10004170-1.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

The last thing I want on my flight is someone talking on their cell phone, too loudly, for four hours. And you know someone will do that.

On the other hand, it can be a source of amusement...and value. Within the last five years, I was on a flight to the Pacific time zone (that won't help you identify the vendor). The guy seated next to me in 2D has his papers out on his lap and is talking on the airphone. Lawyer. He's talking strategy about the lawsuit they've got underway against the vendor I'm going to visit. Of course, I listen attentively...and when we land, call company executive and repeat the conversation. If he's going to be stupid enough to talk in public, I don't think I was under any moral obligation to keep his conversation in confidence. He didn't, so why should I. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

That said, no phones. And don't tell me we'll have phone/no phone seating. I remember when there were smoking and the-smoke-will-get-to-you-five-minutes-later sections. There was no no-smoking section. Just as there would be no quiet car. It works for Amtrak, not for airplanes. Where is that Get Smart cone of silence when you need it.

No comments: